Pholourie

Pholourie is a snack commonly eaten in Trinidad and Tobago that consist of fried, spiced dough balls that is served with your choice of mango or tamarind chutney.  We all can agree that no matter how we dress it, pholourie is one local snack that we all can't seem to get enough of.


Growing up I could remember my Mother having to make pholourie for all the church events.  She would stand for hours to fry hundreds of pholourie balls that would literally disappear within a few minutes of arriving.  

As I got older, I became the child that my Mother would call on for help especially when it came to pholourie and through the years I perfected the art of squeezing the dough between my fingers into the hot oil.

I would share with you today my Mother's recipe for pholourie that I know you would enjoy.



Ingredients

4 Cups Flour
2 Tbs Yeast
1 Tsp Saffron (Turmeric) Powder
1 ½ Tsp Salt
10 Chadon Beni Leaves
4 Cloves Garlic
Hot Pepper - To Taste
1 ¾ Cups Water
Oil - For Frying 

Method
    Mix flour, yeast, saffron and salt in a bowl.
    Set aside.
    Finely chop or grind chadon beni, garlic and hot pepper (optional) and add to flour mixture
    Add water, mixing with your fingers until a thick paste is formed
    Cover and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Heat oil .
    Using your hand or an oiled spoon, scoop the batter into the oil and fry until golden brown.

   

    Serve with mango or tamarind chutney.
    






Comments

  1. Oh, yeah!! This is great... A blog that I am sure to enjoy visiting. Thanks for sharing, Nan.. Your mum's sweet hand is well known.. Looking forward! God bless you and all your family .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited when I saw pholourie Nancy. Lol. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good,have to try this��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! Especially loved the inspiration for it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment