Trinidad Fruit Cake (Black Cake)




Fruit Cake or Black Cake is a tradition in Trinidad and Tobago for not only Christmas but also weddings.   I am not a fan of this type of cake but I could not go without sharing my mother's recipe that has become something that she is known for.  Now, despite not being a fan I absolutely love the smell of the house when its baking.

When I asked my mom for the recipe she sent me a pic from her collection of the recipe that she has been using for as long as I could remember, it actually could be older than I am. 






So, I'll share with you today , what I've been told is the best fruit cake you  would ever eat.

Hope you enjoy.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb Raisins
1 lb Prunes (seedless)
1 bottle rum
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 lb butter                               
12 eggs
1 cup browning
1 lb currants
1 lb sultanas
1/2 lb cherries
1 bottle cherry brandy
3 tsp baking powder
1 lb sugar
1 lb flour

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 325.
Clean and wash chopped fruits and place in a large pot on low heat along with rum and cherry brandy and simmer for about 10 mins. 

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add eggs one at a time while mixing on medium speed
Add fruits and mix well.
Add browning and vanilla essence, baking powder and flour, ensuring that all ingredients are mixed in.


Line 3 greased 8" baking pans with grease proof paper  and fill with batter and bake for about 1 hour until skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre.  
Cool and remove from pan.



















Comments

Post a Comment